Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lemon Rice

I recently came back from visiting my mother-in-law who is the one of the greatest examples to me of taking care of your body by eating good food. I always learn something from her whenever I visit. This time, it was a really good book. It is called "World Vegetarian" by Madhur Jaffery. There is this amazing recipe with stir-fried mushroom that I will share later, when mushroom's go on sale.
The recipe I want to share is Lemon Rice. I've used it this week as a side to lintels, fish, and potatoes and even after three meals, I wish I had more.
To make it cook 2 cups of basmati (or any long-grain rice, I used brown rice) as directed
then in a LARGE frying-pan heat 2 Tablespoons oil over med-high heat. put in 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds when the seeds 'pop' add 15 fresh curry or basil leaves. stir once then add rice with 2 teaspoons lemon rind and 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice. Enjoy!
Note: I didn't have mustard seeds or fresh curry or basil leaves. Instead I heated the oil and right before I put the rice in I put a 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, and lots of dried basil. It turned out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment