Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Olive Oil Mayo

I found a general rule for sauces, is the affordable canned stuff is usually gross and full of 'whatever is cheapest and still palatable' ingredients. Now, grew-up with this stuff so my stomach could handle things like miracle whip without a problem, but my husband who had been raised on natural and homemade foods can not (at least without complaining to me). Now, I have never really liked store bought mayonnaise (hence the miracle whip reference, so this presented a delma when I wanted to make certain recipes and sandwiches.
Lucky for me, I have a mother-in-law who gives great cook books! One of which has a good mayo recipe. Here it is:
put 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder (or if your like me and don't have that, you can cumin), 2 full tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup olive oil. blend on low then slowly and steadily add 3/4 cup more olive oil to the mixture as it is being blended. When the mayo is a nice thick and smooth constancy, put it in a clean tightly re-sealable container and into the fridge.
It is really good and taste and is a lot better for you then the corn/vegetable oil stuff.
For those of you who are afraid of the raw egg; I was too. The vinegar and the salt really do kill the bacteria though and keep it from going bad. I personally, make sure I use an egg brand I trust. I now actually trust the homemade stuff more, because I know how its was handles after it has been made.
Now enjoy a- Potato salad, tuna fish sandwich, veggie wrap, salad dressing, tomato-basil pizza, ect.

No comments:

Post a Comment