Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bean Burritos


Guess what, I found good handmade flour tortillas for a good price! That big pot of beans we make every week has been quickly becoming re-fried beans for burritos. Now I know that the word "re-fried" may sound like it really bad for you, but if you re-fry your own beans it actually doesn't use much fat.
How do you do it? Easy.
First, I take the black or pinto beans I have on hand, out. Then I get out a big skillet, put a bit of olive oil in it (enough to thickly coat the pan), and heat-up the pan over medium-high heat. Then toss in a few big spoonfuls of the beans with a little bit of the juice. while the beans are essentially reheating, I use the bottom end of a fork and mash-up the beans until they look, well like re-fried beans. Put it in a tortilla with a little cheese, salsa, and avocado.
(I don't have my camera back yet, but I will post pictures later)
Also, for those who are interested. Making a pot of beans from dried beans every week can be a big meal and money saver and it is not that hard. The biggest thing is making a habit out of it. Dry beans do need to soak so start them soaking before bed or before work. Then when you wake-up or get home, start them cooking. I will probably talk about our bean making possess later on.
Good eating!

4 comments:

  1. This is going to sound sad..but I never thought about making dried beans. I'll be interested to learn how to make those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know how until I married Jacob either. I will defiantly post on that, but I want to have my camera back first.
    Basically, put some beans in big bowl with 2x the amount of water as beans. let it sit for 6 hours or so, then when you get home of wake-up you put a bit of olive oil (or bacon fat if you have it) on the bottom of a big pan, heat it up with some onion and a some crushed whole cloves of garlic, then put in the beans, stir a little then put however much water in the pot at the bag tells you, I think its 3 to 1. Add a few chipotle peppers and a lot of salt. bring to a boil then let simmer for an hour or two with the lid on. checking it occasionally. It is easier then it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put them in a crockpot on low for 12 hours. I just add salt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to learn how to do that. Do you have to pre-soak or boil the water before you put the beans in?

    ReplyDelete