Friday, January 21, 2011

Humm, humm, Hummus!


Like peanut butter and jelly, like chocolate and strawberries, like Frodo and Sam just like hummus to flat bread these pairings make a great team. Yesterday, I was about to eat all the flat bread by itself when this ominous voice (or just me) said "what about the hummus?"
So here's the Meredith take on hummus. It is a wonderful food, tasty and full of protein, but why waste your money buying it pre-made? Especially when company's often use less then quality ingredients and don't make it to your taste. Plus if you have a food processor, it is super easy and super fast to make.
Here's what you do.
First take a drained 16 oz. canned or 1 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans. Toss it in the food possessor with 2 cloves garlic, 3/4 teaspoon of salt (or however much you like, lemon juice (i use about 1/3 cup), 1/3 cup tahini, and whatever spices you want (I'll list mine after this) start the food processor and blend until there are no huge chunks, then slowly pour in about 1/4 cup of olive oil. blend until a smooth creamy paste.javascript:void(0)
my spices
cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and then I sprinkle paprika on top when its done.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I remember trying the hummus you made at your house - delicious! Can't wait to try it...after I get a food processor!

    ReplyDelete