Saturday, January 8, 2011

Vegetable stir-fry

So yesterday I needed to go the store, but I didn't want to. Lucky for me, a while back I bought a bag a frozen stir-fry vegetables at Costco. Yea for procrastination!
The stir fry mix has red peppers, mushrooms,Green beans, pea pods, broccoli, mini corn (yum!), and water chestnuts. This is great because everything except the broccoli and the green beans usually costs a lot otherwise. However, I think this would still taste good if you just used broccoli, green beans, and some other vegetable that was cost effective that day: The other stuff, however, does make it great. I also always have brown rice on hand. so I made some of that for the week.
for the stir-fry
heat some olive oil in a large skillet until the oil hot (sizzles when something is added). Add vegetables with a light coating of flour, soy sauce (about 2 tablespoons, but I used a bit more), fresh garlic and finely diced ginger (I ran out so I just used a healthy dash of the powdered stuff). I have Oyster sauce on hand too, so I added some of that for kicks, but you don't need it.
stir and fry it until the sauce turns brownish and the vegetables are cooked (like 5-10 minuets depending on the vegetables)
My rice still needed 10 more minuets to cook by this point so I just turned the heat off the skillet. Stirred it a bit at first so the bottom wouldn't burn from residual heat then covered it with a lid to keep warm until the rice was done. I think the covering helped because it steamed my vegetables a bit.
I served it over the rice and it was wonderful. You can make this with chicken or meat if you like, but I think it is great without and healthier.
Stir-fry is a wonderful basic to know how to make, and is a lot easier then I thought it would be. Plus as my friend Kellie taught me the main key to Asian food is just soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
Have a good meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment