Monday, January 10, 2011

Potato leek soup

Okay so I bought a big bag of Yukon gold potato (my favorite) a week ago, and then I bought a 5lb bag of Russell potatoes. What can I do with so many potatoes and no gravy? Potato soup of course! Honestly, I think this is my favorite soup now, and that's saying a lot when it has my friend Gabby's Butternut pear soup for competition.
To make the soup:
Get a big soup pot and heat a tablespoon or more of olive oil in the pan, add a small chopped yellow onion and some celery if you have it (I didn't so I just used celery salt for half of my salt). while the onion is softening a bit get three cloves of garlic, chop off the very bottom, then crush and add to the pot. Now as fast as you can cube up about 7 of the gold potatoes (golds are pretty small so if you are using Russell instead only cut about 4-5) I leave the skins on, but that is just how I like things. put the potatoes in the pot and add a can of chicken broth, vegetable broth, or even just water if that's all you have. add to dry bay leaves (or one fresh if you have it), salt to taste (I use almost a tablespoon, but it depends on how salty the broth is). Let the Potatoes cook until they are supper soft (and probably have absorbent all the liquid). Put the bay leaves aside and either blend up what you have in a food possessor, or just mash it up with a masher if you don't like doing dishes like me. Put everything back in the pot over low heat and add the leek (washed and finely minced) a small dash of cayenne pepper, some black pepper, and celery salt if you didn't add celery to start with.
Let simmer for 10 mins and then enjoy. I had the leftovers today with some red wheat bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment